Site under Construction

Coming soon !


Guide By area --> Neo Chorio

Neo Chorio

Information about Neo Chorio will be added soon.

Church of Saint Minas

The church of Saint Minas is located in the centre of the village. Its construction began in 19O6 and was completed in 1912. The residents of Neo Chorio struggled and offered everything they had in their possession for the construction of the church of their village. It is a relatively big church, which comfortably hosts around two hundred Christians. Architecturally, it is built in Gothic Rhythm and internally it is a singled-room church.

Externally, it is built with local stone. The belfry of the church was built later, during 1930 after a donation made by a community resident. It is high and arched, with three electronic bells in its interior. It is built on the eastern part of the church and it is attached to the rest of the building. The surrounding yard is big and comfortable. In the middle, there is a monument dedicated to three men killed in November 1956 during the battles against the English, in the 1955-1959 fight.

Internally, the church is adorned with frescos, and even more, it is adorned by the unique in kind wooden-carved iconostasis. The iconostasis of the church is made of walnut wood, with a carving which gives a beautiful note to the space of the church. Above the iconostasis, there is a second and third narrower zone of miniature icons. The iconostasis maintains two gates, the beautiful gate and the north gate. The iconostasis is accompanied by icons created in 1948. Once you have passed the north gate, the Holy Prothesis is situated on the left. On the left of the Holy Prothesis, there is a fresco which depicts the Birth of Christ and the sacrifice of Abraham. Outside the sanctuary, on the northern wall of the main temple, frescos continue with the representations of Saint Kyriacos, Saint Katherine, Saint Nimfodora and Prophet Elias. On the south wall of the church, representations continue with Saint Nectarios, Apostle Paul and Apostle Peter.      
The women’s gallery is also decorated with several frescos which bare representations of saints. The icon dedicated to Saint Minas is situated on the right end of the iconostasis and represents Saint Minas on a horse. It is a Byzantine type icon which was donated by the nuns of Saint Minas Monastery. The community of Neo Chorio Paphou celebrates the name day of Saint Minas on the 11th of November under the presence of the Metropolitan Bishop of Paphos. On the name day of Saint Minas, many people who have the same name celebrate and many offerings are made to the Saint. Saint Minas is considered as miraculous for the community of Neo Chorio Paphou.

Saint George’s Chapel          

A chapel dedicated to Saint George, built towards the end of the 17th and beginning of the 18th century. It is situated inside the village, very close to the church of Saint Minas. It is also very close to the old tap of Neo Chorio which was built in 1926. The tap is supplied with water by the Kefalovriso (spring) of the village. Architecturally, it is built in a simple singled-room type in the interior and with stone on the exterior. The belfry has been built recently and is located on the western side of the chapel with one bell inside. The surrounding ground is paved with tiles and fenced with a decorative wooden bar.

The iconostasis is internally extremely old as it is dated back to 1800.Its wooden-carved with four icons which are dated back to 1885. There is a second narrower zone above the iconostasis with six smaller icons of saints. Although small and unaffected internally, the chapel can comfortably host up to thirty Christians. About thirty years ago, a donation by an expatriate who came from Neo Chorio and lived in Africa, as well as fund raisings covered the chapel’s maintenance.                                                              
There is a Mass in the chapel twice a year, on the holiday of Saint George on the 23rd of April and on the 3rd of November which is the day of receiving the mortal remains of the Saint.

Saint Minas Chapel   

The chapel of Saint Minas, after research conducted by the department of antiquities, appears to be traced back to the 16th century. It is a small and unaffected chapel which can comfortably host up to thirty Christians. It is situated west of the village, in a distance of three kilometres. Architecturally, it is a singled-room small church with inner arcs. It is situated in a wild area, surrounded by wild vegetation. Externally, it is stone-made and the external wall is about one metre width. The belfry is really rough but it is there to sound a call for loyal Christians. Internally, the chapel is simple and its walls appear to have frescos. Naturally, as the years went by, the frescos were altered and destroyed.  

The iconostasis of the chapel is wooden and simple with very few holy icons. The psalter is also wooden and simple. Although it is quite far-off the village, there is a mass in the chapel several times in a year. Many people also choose the chapel for various Holy Communions and especially Christenings.

The chapel is under protection by the Department of Antiquities as it is considered to be of significant archaeological value.   

Saint Ephraim’s Chapel  

The chapel of Saint Ephraim is situated on a rising at the entrance of the village, in the area called “anadasmos (re-distribution of land)”, in between pine trees. The view is unique and panoramic since the whole area is in sight from there.

The building of the chapel began in July 2005 and construction works were finalized during the middle of September of the same year. The chapel is small, without a belfry and can host about 30 Christians. It is built with local stone. Inside the surrounding ground there is a stone-made tap with drinking water. Next to the chapel, there is a huge pine tree which offers shadow and coolness. Benches are placed under the pine trees. The community council is planning to pave with tiles the entire surrounding ground.

Internally, the wooden-carved iconostasis with its icons is singled out.    

The building cost mounted up to 18000 CYP and was covered by the community council and the contributions made by the residents of the community.